Five levels of officials are recognized:
We provide training, development, and mentorship opportunities for individuals interested in officiating. Officials are very important for the successful staging of competitive and championship events. Starting this 2023 season YCA is following the new Curling Canada restructure for officiating. The pathway and structure is described as below starting with Time clock operator.
- TIME CLOCK OPERATOR/ OBSERVER (PREVIOUSLY LEVEL 1)
- GAME UMPIRE (PREVIOUSLY LEVEL 2)
- Level 3 UMPIRE (CHIEF UMPIRE):
- Level 4 NATIONAL GAME UMPIRE, DEPUTY CHIEF UMPIRE & CHIEF UMPIRE
- LEVEL 5 UMPIRE – NATIONAL CHIEF UMPIRE
TIME CLOCK OPERATOR/ OBSERVER (PREVIOUSLY LEVEL 1):
- Complete the self-taught Time Clock Operator Course
- Complete the self-taught Observer Course
- Complete the self-taught training registration form
- Complete the practical requirement of a minimum of six games of officiating experience under the supervision of a Level 3, 4 or 5 Chief Umpire. Submit the completed Time Clock Operator/Observer practical form to your Curling Canada Member Association.
GAME UMPIRE (PREVIOUSLY LEVEL 2):
- Pre Requisite: Game Time Clock Operator/Observer Certification
- Complete virtual training or attend a Game Umpire Training Course.
- Complete and pass the Game Umpire exam (open book); 70% required
- To receive the virtual training materials and to access the exam please use this link to request. The cost is $31.50. Click HERE
- Complete the practical requirement of a minimum of six games total of game umpire experience at two championships under the supervision of Level 3, 4 or 5 Chief Umpires. The practical form can be filled out online and submitted to email@example.com. Click HERE to access it
CHIEF UMPIRE (LEVEL 3):
- Pre-requisite: Game Umpire Certification
- Serve as Deputy Chief Umpire at a minimum of one Curling Canada Member Association Championship
- Serve as Chief Umpire at a minimum of one Curling Canada Member Association Championship
- Receive positive evaluations from the the Committee Chair and a recommendation from a recognized Curling Canada Member Association Chief UmpireA certified Game Umpire (level 2) official may apply in in writing to Curl BC to participate in the mentorship program to become a Chief Umpire (Level 3) official. To apply please provide the following:
- A letter of recommendation from a Chief Umpire
- List of events the candidate has been actively involved as a supervising official in the previous 3 years
- Describe experience recruiting and scheduling officials for a provincial or national championship event.
Email Laura Eby to submit your application- firstname.lastname@example.org